Carriage 96515 on the Jubilee line between London Bridge and Southwark at about 1340 on Valentine’s Day 2011. Every seat (in my section) was taken: 14 people.
- There were 7 women and 7 men.
- Of which 8 were white Caucasians.
- 4 people were reading.
- 2 were eating.
- 1 was playing with their phone.
- 1 was listening to music (audible).
- 6 people were talking (3 separate pairs) – the rest were silent.
- 2 of the men were clean-shaven; 5 had facial hair.
- 1 person wore a hat; 1 person wore a headscarf.
- 8 people were wearing glasses (including 5 in a row opposite me).
- 2 people were wearing ties – all men.
- 6 people were wearing scarves – all women.
- There were 7 adverts on the overheads, including 3 for the same telephone company.
The woman next to me was reading “Pink iced heart cake recipe,” her eyes transfixed, her apple, half-eaten, paused in her hand.