This salsa is ridiculously easy. It won’t take more than about five minutes and will leave your lips tingling, but not your tonsils.
Makes 300g of salsa.
- 1 400g can of plum tomatoes.
- 2 green chillies.
- 1/3 of an onion.
- 1 handful of fresh coriander.
- 1 squeeze of a lemon.
The total cost of these ingredients is about a £1*. This is cheaper than supermarket salsa, tastes better and doesn’t have Xanthan Gum in it. Whatever that is.
- Sieve or colander (optional).
- Blender (optional).
- Drain the can of tomatoes. You can use a sieve or a colander or just pour the juice out of the can. It will look like you’re losing a heck of a lot of product. Don’t panic, just drain those plums! Now throw them into the bowl.
- Chop the stalks off your chillies. Take out some of the seeds and pith while you’re there. Throw into the bowl.
- Chop off a third of an onion. Throw into the bowl.
- Grab a handful of fresh coriander. Throw into the bowl.
- Chop a lemon in half and squeeze some into the bowl.
- Blend the ingredients until they are salsafied! If you don’t have a proper blender then just mash and chop with your hands and your knife. Salsa should be pretty rough anyway – you’re not making a soup here.
You can always modify to taste with garlic, salt or chocolate. I won’t shout at you.
* You will have to buy a whole onion and a whole lemon. Save them for next time.