But there is a dark side to this openness: governments today place their entire populations under surveillance, while monopolistic corporations sell intimate details of our lives to advertisers for profit.
Elevate 2013, with the theme “Open Everything?”, sought answers to the overwhelming question of the Internet age: Can we harness the power of openness for democracy, without slipping into an Orwellian nightmare?
Contents Includes (20,000 words, 77 pages in paperback):
- Opening Speech: Jacob Appelbaum
- Is an Open Society a Free Society?
- Open Democracy: The Iceland Experiment
- Open Source Economy
- Knowledge is Power, Open Knowledge is Empowerment
- Self-Determined Production: Sam Muirhead and the Year of Open Source
- ORF Dialogue Forum: Open Media
- Elevate Awards 2013
Plus: A Million Things You Can Do!
Get your copy today
It’s really important to me that you have my book. I worked so hard on it and am so proud of it, that I want you to have it, no matter what. Pay what you want, but even if you have no money, please take a copy today.
When you’ve finished reading, please do leave a review either in the comments below, or on Goodreads. You are the reason why I do this and it’s always nice to hear what you think.