After waking up at the Krakadorn every day for forty days, I’ve become something of an expert in how to enjoy waking up that early.
Here’s how I did it:
- Get a good alarm clock.
- Get excited about the novelty of getting up so early. It’s so ridiculous that it’s funny – now jump out of that bed!
- Imagine you are going somewhere really cool and exciting.
- Go somewhere really cool and exciting (use your imagination).
- Stare at the Sun, wonder at the natural miracle of dawn. It does this every day, while you are normally snoring your head off. Be happy about how lucky you are to be watching this event.
- Take pictures, have fun! Use your creativity to get inside the morning.
- Find something / someone to laugh at (not hard – there are plenty of commuters).
- Look closely at the world as it is waking up. These are things you don’t see normally. The frost still on the ground, rubbish bags ripped open by rats overnight, the morning call of the birds, the soft hum of the milkman’s float. Appreciate.
- Return home and reward yourself with a breakfast fit for a King / Queen. Make it a real feast of tasty goodness, none of this muesli rubbish. Cook something you love – why does breakfast have to be boring? Fry up some sausages, eggs, tomatoes, make pancakes or an omelette. Use your imagination.
- Forget the hasty shower – have a real long hot bath. Yeah!
- Then look at the clock and see it’s only half eight.
That is how you learn to love the dawn.